Independent, Church Planting, King James Bible Believing, Separated, Distinctive, Confrontational, and Militant
Whereas: Young Baptist preachers have become the targets of compromising Protestants and Fundamentalist-Evangelicals. And young Baptist preachers have been lured by money into meetings with the leaders of the so-called “emerging” and “emergent” church. And the independent Baptist leadership has been all but silent concerning the compromise and rampant worldliness of the “emerging” church. Additionally, the independent Baptist leadership has failed, after fair warning concerning Baptist history, heritage and church planting models, to inform young Baptist people of their legacy, or to warn them about the encroachment of the Reformed: We, declare a LINE IN THE SAND, a challenge to return to Baptist principles and models. We declare an empowerment of the 14,000 independent Baptist churches in this country. This group of churches could, if given the proper model, experience revival without compromising the standards of God’s word or embracing the so-called culture of this world.
Affirmations of the League of Principled Baptists
1. The King James Bible is the only rule for faith and practice and is sufficient for all cultural and ecclesiastical needs. It is both preserved and inspired. II Timothy 3:16 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”
2. There should be a resurgence of Biblical preaching that centers on the Bible and proper use of the text. Preaching that is not determined by societal conditions or perceived “relevance.” II Timothy 4:2-4 “Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
3. We advocate a return to the Pastoral Epistles determining the ministry of a preacher, not leadership books, mega churches, and cultural survey results. I Timothy 3:15-But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils”
4. We advocate a return to the equipping and training of believers in the doctrines of the faith. I Timothy 4:6, II Timothy 2:2 “2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.”
5. We advocate a re-setting of Baptist principles and doctrine above five fundamentals that diminish other doctrine. This includes ecclesiastical separation. I Timothy 1:3 “I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day” Titus 1:9 “9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
6. We renounce worldliness not as cultural, but as rebellion to God and His holiness. This would include areas of dress, music, attitude, and worship. I John 2:15 – 16 “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. Romans 12:2 “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. I Peter 1:14 – 17 “1Pe 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear” ITimothy 2:9 “In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array” Colossians 2:8 “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” Col 3:16 “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.”
7. We maintain that conviction and repentance have been and always will be a present in salvation. Matthew 3:1, Luke 13:1 – 5 Acts 3:19 “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; Acts 20:21 “Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ”
8. We advocate a return to the Biblical Baptist model of church planting.